Hunger by Jackie Morse Kessler

Summary: Lisabeth Lewis has a black steed, a set of scales, and a new job: she's been appointed Famine. How will an anorexic seventeen-year-old girl from the suburbs fare as one of the Four Hosemen of the Apocalypse?

Traveling the world on her steed gives Lisa the freedom to hide from her troubles at home: her constant battle with hunger, and her struggle to hide it from the people who care about her. But being Famine forces her to go places where hunger is a painful part of everyday life, and to face the horrifying effects of her phenomenal power. Can Lisa find a way to harness that power - and the courage to battle her own inner demons?

Review: I've seen a couple of reviews around the blogger community and I wanted to check them out. I'm so glad I did. First off, there are a lot of books about eating disorders out there and it is a tough topic to write about so props to Jackie for being able to write such a wonderful novel. This is the first book I've read about eating disorders where the main character has at least one friend she doesn't have to keep her secret from because that friend is Bulimic. I like the addition of sick secondary characters because you can see the internal battle going on inside of Lisa as she keeps comparing herself to others. And the Thin Voice? I think we all have that going on. It might not be a Thin Voice telling us we're fat and we need to stop eating, but it's definitely another voice repeating all of our flaws to us so we hate ourselves. Another thing I loved about this book was Lisa didn't rely on her boyfriend to help her with her problem so she had to look deep down inside herself to find the strength needed to overcome her issues. This book was absolutely fantastic and I'm so glad I was able to pick it up and read it.

4.5 howls

Comments