Across the Universe by Beth Revis


Summary: Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.

Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone - one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship - tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.

Now, Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.

Review: I'm not even sure I know the words to properly review Across the Universe. First off, characters. I liked Amy. I liked Elder. Harley was my favorite. He was one of those characters that made me smile every time he was on a page. He's the kind of friend I would love to have in my life. Amy and Elder were nice too though. I liked being inside Elder's head as he figured things out about the workings of the ship. I loved/hated being in Amy's head when she was...droned? I don't know how to describe it. If you've read the book then you probably know what I'm talking about. I loved it because it was so good. The simple sentences was a great effect, and I really thought I was her in that moment. That's also why I hated it. It was terrifying. I won't say anymore, but that might have been my favorite moment of the book. I think that's the part where Elder shone the most as well. Things started to click in his head, and it was good to see his revelations.

The story was incredible. I'm not very familiar with sci-fi which is why it took so long for me to read Across the Universe. The cover was pretty, and it sounded good, but I wasn't sure if it was my thing. Of course this is an instance where I'm kicking myself for waiting so long. The only thing I'm not sure if I liked was the end. The very end. The last page. Amy seemed...okay...with everything. I hope that it was just a simple gesture and that A Million Suns will be part of her dealing with everything that happened in Across the Universe. Sorry if that sounds super vague, but I don't want to make this a spoiler review. This was a great book. Go read it. Even if you don't do sci-fi.

5 howls

Comments