Paper Towns by John Green


Summary: When Margo Roth Spiegelman beckons Quentin Jacobsen in the middle of the night - dressed like a ninja and plotting an ingenious campaign of revenge - he follows her. Margo's always planned extravagantly, and, until now, she's always planned solo. After a lifetime of loving Margo from afar, things are finally looking up for Q . . . until day breaks and she has vanished. Always an enigma, Margo has now become a mystery. But there are clues. And they're for Q. Printz Medalist John Green returns with the trademark brilliant wit and heart-stopping emotional honesty that have inspired a new generation of readers.

Review: Yay for finally reading my first John Green book! I had no idea what to expect when I started Paper Towns in all honesty, but I'm very impressed. Unfortunately this is another book I enjoyed in every way except for the characters. Margo was okay. Ben and Radar were okay. Q was okay. None of them stood out for me though. They had their good moments, and they had their moments when I wanted to smack them. I did care for them. Especially when Q started to assume things about Margo. I'm not going to go into more detail because of spoilers, but I was reading Paper Towns and I kept thinking, "No! No! No! That is not going to happen!" I think that says something that you don't have to relate to any certain character, but you still care about what happens to them. I loved the story. It was essentially a scavenger hunt, and it was very well done. I felt the end was rather bittersweet. My favorite part might have been the road trip at the end. I feel like that's where you get the most out of the characters, because that's when Q interacts with them the most. He spends so much of the book trying to figure out Margo and it feels like the minor characters get shoved in the background for most of the book. Other than that, I must say I am very much looking forward to my next John Green book.

4 howls

Comments