Lover Unleashed by J.R. Ward


Summary: Payne, twin sister of Vishous, is cut from the same dark, warrior cloth as her brother: A fighter by nature, and a maverick when it comes to the traditional role of Chosen females, there is no place for her on the Far Side… and no role for her on the front lines of the war, either.

When she suffers a paralyzing injury, human surgeon Dr. Manuel Manello is called in to treat her as only he can- and he soon gets sucked into her dangerous, secret world. Although he never before believed in things that go bump in the night- like vampires- he finds himself more than willing to be seduced by the powerful female who marks both his body and his soul.

As the two find so much more than an erotic connection, the human and vampire worlds collide … just as a centuries old score catches up with Payne and puts both her love and her life in deadly jeopardy.

Review: It's time for Payne and Manny I guess. I've actually been wanting Manny to have his own book ever since he was introduced. He is a sweet character, but he's also very strong. I ended up feeling bad for him through a good chunk of this book though because of all the mind-screwing that goes on. Payne wasn't a character I could really judge straight off. You get to know her a bit in Sanctuary, but now she's in the mortal world with the Brotherhood so she has to learn a completely new lifestyle. Her ignorance was cute. I found it absolutely hilarious the way she had to learn certain things. I liked the way her relationship worked with Manny mostly because it leaked into Jane's relationship with V, and I thought it went along well. I also liked how Manny wasn't like, "Oh. Mate? Okay then." He was conflicted about the whole thing which I felt was more realistic. Maybe it's because he's a human and he had no prior knowledge of the Brotherhood's customs. Another thing I liked was the conflict between older couples. I know that these books are romances and they're about HEAs, but no relationship is perfect. There will be issues and it's good to see some of that realism crop up.

4 howls

Comments