Nevermore by Kelly Creagh

Summary: Cheerleader Isobel Lanley is horrified when she is paired with Varen Nethers for an English project, which is due—so unfair—on the day of the rival game. Cold and aloof, sardonic and sharp-tongued, Varen makes it clear he’d rather not have anything to do with her either. But when Isobel discovers strange writing in his journal, she can’t help but give this enigmatic boy with the piercing eyes another look. 

Soon, Isobel finds herself making excuses to be with Varen. Steadily pulled away from her friends and her possessive boyfriend, Isobel ventures deeper and deeper into the dream world Varen has created through the pages of his notebook, a realm where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life.
As her world begins to unravel around her, Isobel discovers that dreams, like words, hold more power than she ever imagined, and that the most frightening realities are those of the mind. Now she must find a way to reach Varen before he is consumed by the shadows of his own nightmares.  

Review: Nevermore was a nice paranormal young adult book, but the characters were pretty generic. I might just be sick of the typical young adult story. Varen was the misunderstood goth kid which his foot in the paranormal world. Isobel was the obnoxious, preppy cheerleader. That being said, they were good to read. Isobel annoyed me a little bit, but for the most part I liked reading them. Reynolds might be my favorite character. I only say "might" because I haven't quite made up my mind about whether I like him or not. I'm interested to see how his character is handled in Enshadowed. Pinfeather and Scrim were interesting little characters as well. I'm rather curious about them in general. Like I said, this is a paranormal young adult story, but there were some interesting characters/situations. I liked the Nocs. They were creepily different. I hope to see more of them in book 2. It didn't feel like Nevermore was 500+ pages either. I thought the story moved at a decent pace. So while Nevermore isn't exactly the "fresh, new" story people might be waiting for, I feel like it is certainly worth checking out. I enjoyed it very much, and I can't wait to read Enshadowed.

4 howls

Comments