Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Summary: Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, the ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . . 

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.


Review: I wish it hadn't taken me this long to read Cinder because it was so good! Cinder was a very sad, but likable character. Iko, Kai, and Pheony were all great characters as well. I don't have a favorite character though, and I wish I did. I thought I could connect with Cinder in one aspect of her life, but not so much as I continued the story. I love the idea that Cinder is a cyborg. It's unique, and the setting this book is in requires a lot of world building. I had to keep reminding myself that the characters in Cinder are in New Bejing which isn't an area I'm used to reading about. Usually books I read are set in America or in Europe so for me characters usually look a certain way. I know that's bad, but that's just how my brain works. Some parts of the story felt predictable, but that's okay because they were still good twists and they kept the story interesting. This is certainly a book I would recommend to anyone who reads retellings and wants a new take on a classic story.

5 howls

Comments