Inbetween by Tara Fuller

Summary: Since the car crash that took her father’s life three years ago, Emma’s life has been a freaky — and unending — lesson in caution. Surviving “accidents” has taken priority over being a normal seventeen-year-old, so Emma spends her days taking pictures of life instead of living it. Falling in love with a boy was never part of the plan. Falling for a reaper who makes her chest ache and her head spin? Not an option.

It’s not easy being dead, especially for a reaper in love with a girl fate has put on his list not once, but twice. Finn’s fellow reapers give him hell about spending time with Emma, but Finn couldn’t let her die before, and he’s not about to let her die now. He will protect the girl he loves from the evil he accidentally unleashed, even if it means sacrificing the only thing he has left…his soul.


Review: Inbetween was a great read! It's nice to discover a new book where the characters don't annoy you! I didn't have a problem with any of the characters, which is a rare thing. My favorite was Easton though. Don't ask me why, but from his first scene I knew he was going to be my favorite. Cash was a very close second too. Cash made me think of my best friend which is one of those nice things that makes a story more personal for the reader. Finn was cute. I want to see him in later books. I'm sure we will, but I'd like to see how things are holding up for him. I admire Emma a lot. She tried so hard to figure out why things were happening to her, and she fought against something she didn't understand. Some people would say that's foolish, but it was one of the qualities I liked most about her. We need to talk about Anaya too. She is a great character, and I can't wait to see more of her. I'm sure she has a backstory worth diving into. There's also, Scout. I hope we see him more in later books. I think he could prove himself a bit more. I liked him, but I think he needs to redeem himself some.

Am I done gushing over characters? I think so. Now, we shall talk about relationships. The obvious relationship is Emma and Finn. I know it's cliche' to say, but they were perfect for each other. I liked how Emma was curious enough to learn about Finn on her own, but he was still given the opportunity to tell her about his past. Emma's digging helped move the story along. Finn's willingness to open up about his past showed that he was honest. He had some moments where he kept things from Emma, but Anaya helped that along. I won't say any more than that. *zips lips*
Another relationship that I was 100% behind was Emma/Cash. I don't mean "relationship" like they were in one, but they had a friendship relationship. Did I mention that Cash made me think of my best friend? Yes? Good. I have gotten a lot of crap about why I wouldn't date my best friend, because he's a guy and blah blah blah. It was refreshing to read a M/F best friend relationship without having the obvious sexual tension there. Mega bonus points for that. Another thing I loved about Inbetween was the dual-narrative. I think this might be the first book I've ever read where I actually like the dual-narrative. I rolled my eyes when I saw POVs would be shifting between Emma and Finn, but I felt like this was one of Inbetween's strengths. You got to see the personal strengths of Emma and Finn, and you got to see how they both dealt with the effects of their actions.

One last thing, then I'll be done. Tara told me that Blurred, book 2 is going to focus on different characters. This excites me. I want to read more books like this. I like authors giving other characters the spotlight. Like I said, Finn and Emma were fine, but Cash and Easton were my favorites. I want the minor characters to see some happiness too.

5 howls

Comments

Daniela said…
I loved this book! I didn't know there was going to be a second one though! That's awesome, I can't wait :)