Carrie by Stephen King

Content Warnings: Abuse, domestic abuse, bullying, girl on girl hate

SynopsisCarrie knew she should not use the terrifying power she possessed... But one night at her senior prom, Carrie was scorned and humiliated just one time too many, and in a fit of uncontrollable fury she turned her clandestine game into a weapon of horror and destruction...

Review: Carrie was such a unique book. I feel like there isn't a way to discuss characters because of the way the book is structured. The book was written as if it was a collection of research on telekinesis and Carrie's life. So, instead of the book being broken up by chapters, there would be a title of a fake book or article. Then there would be a section which kind of summarizes what information that article had in it. Finally, there would be a bit which actually felt like a story from Carrie's perspective as we see her living her life described in this article. It's bizarre, but fascinating. Carrie was a tragic character, but I appreciated that she was fat and not pretty. I watched the original movie when I was younger, and I didn't realize Carrie was described differently in the book. I wish they kept that element. The opening scene as Carrie has her first period hurt my soul. I remember what that moment was like for me, and reliving it from Carrie's perspective was hard. If you're a person who is sensitive to women hate, this will be a hard book to read. The entire book follows Carrie's abuse by this group of girls, and the tragedy that comes from it. I have a hard time describing this book accurately because of how it is written, but it's definitely worth reading.

4 howls

Comments