Radio by Sophia Elaine Hanson

Trigger Warnings: Assault

SynopsisAfter the traumatic events at the dreaded prison Red Bay, Ronja is hanging by a thread. Whispers trail her through the Belly, carrying rumors of her borderline supernatural voice. Plagued by nightmares and haunted by the memories of those she could not save, she clings to the promise that her gift will soon become the weapon of the Anthem.

When doubt and arrogance cloud the eyes of their once trusted commander, Ronja and her friends are forced to take matters into their own hands. Armed with little more than an idea, they strike out on their own to silence The Music and The Conductor once and for all. But time is running out, and a new threat is stirring within the walls of the city...
 

Review: Radio was an engaging second book and a fairly good follow-up to Vinyl. Ronja has escaped Red Bay, but she lost people in the process. I love that we get to know more characters and we get to experience a different setting. This definitely adds more depth to the world and we get to walk with the characters as they encounter an entirely new environment. That being said, I didn't really care for Darius, and I thought his part of the story was rather predictable.

Radio really drew some elements of fantasy into this world. I feel like some aspects worked well, and others didn't. Darius was one that I was not terribly fond of. I'm honestly still on the fence about whether or not I like the "powers" Ronja has. In some ways, I feel like it takes away from an actual disorder people have, and it felt a bit cheesy. In other ways, the beauty of music is used so well that I could ignore the problems I had with it. I also found the ending to be predictable, so that was a little disappointing. That being said, Sophia can clearly write a compelling story with tension that doesn't rely on a love triangle. That is impressive.

Good story, but the fantasy elements were hit-or-miss for me.

3 howls

Comments