Firefight by Brandon Sanderson

Trigger Warnings: Detailed use and descriptions of guns

SynopsisBabylon Restored, formerly Manhattan, may give David answers. Ruled by the mysterious High Epic, Regalia, David is sure Babylon Restored will lead him to what he needs to find. And while entering another city oppressed by a High Epic despot is a gamble, David's willing to risk it. Because killing Steelheart left a hole in David's heart. A hole where his thirst for vengeance once lived. Somehow, he filled that hole with another Epic—Firefight. And he's willing to go on a quest darker, and more dangerous even, than the fight against Steelheart to find her, and to get his answers.


Review: Firefight was just as action-packed as Steelheart. I loved getting more familiar with Firefight's abilities. I think it is an interesting concept. David is a moron. For reasons I won't go into because of spoilers. I didn't like the way he handled certain things which was a bit disappointing. I liked seeing how some of the other characters grew within the confines of this story, and getting to know new characters was delightful. Mizzy, Exel, even Regalia were all fascinating to me. I loved Regalia. I thought she had a very interesting ability and seeing how things played out with her was definitely surprising.

Again, like Steelheart, this book never seemed to slow down in the way of pacing. Babylon Restored was a much more interesting setting than Newcago, in my opinion. I loved seeing how people navigated the watery city. My favorite thing about this particular book was the conversations other characters had with David about how Steelheart was a dictator, but also "not that bad" when compared to other Epics. I think, given the world we live in now, this is a very applicable conversation people could have about settling with those who are in charge of our country. The idea that characters were willing to settle with Steelheart as a ruler still blows my mind.

Another fast-paced book from Sanderson that can easily bring difficult conversations to the surface of our conversations.

4 howls

Comments