Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo



Synopsis: Ketterdam: a bustling hub of international trade where anything can be had for the right price–and no one knows that better than criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker. Kaz is offered a chance at a deadly heist that could make him rich beyond his wildest dreams. But he can’t pull it off alone. . . .
A convict with a thirst for revenge

A sharpshooter who can’t walk away from a wager

A runaway with a privileged past

A spy known as the Wraith

A Heartrender using her magic to survive the slums

A thief with a gift for unlikely escapes

Kaz’s crew is the only thing that might stand between the world and destruction—if they don’t kill each other first.



Review: This was my 3rd time reading Six of Crows, and I always have a ton of fun when I read it. All of the characters are unique and fascinating. Kaz, while young, is clearly respected by his fellow misfits and I appreciated seeing his hold on the others. Inej and Nina are my clear favorites though. They both know what it's like to get hurt, by men especially, and come back from it. Definitely a couple of the best female characters I've read in a long time. I will say that I wish we had a bit more backstory in this book about the tensions between different groups of people. The fact that this isn't a long series makes me wish the 2 books were longer so we could have more world building. I think where Leigh failed with this duology in particular is relying too heavily on people reading the other 3 Grisha books. A number of people have, but there are also many people who didn't. Having more world building in Six of Crows would have allowed this series to stand out a bit more from the rest of the Grisha books.


The story, as always, is solid. I've heard some people say the beginning is slow, but I disagree. Even though I've been around these characters before, I really enjoy getting to know them again. They all have a clear history with Kaz, but their relationships with him are filled rather nicely from the story. I still loved the plot twists as well. They were well placed and this story allowed for every character to feel important which I admire a lot. When an author writes a large cast of characters, it can be difficult to make sure each character is unique and brings something to the overall story. Leigh does this wonderfully and I can't think of any character that could be considered unimportant.


Excellent story with interesting characters.


5 howls

Comments