The Outer Worlds (Game Review)



The Outer Worlds is a sci-fi RPG that just recently came out. The story begins as you are awoken from a cryogenic sleep by a scientist. He explains that he needs your help and there is a governing group called the Board who is after him. This propels you into a morality based story where you have to decide if your loyalty lies with the Board, or with civilians. The Outer Worlds is one of those games where you explore different areas and loot bodies/buildings as needed. This means you get a lot of different weapons and equipment, and there’s just a lot to do in general. I don’t normally gravitate towards these kinds of games because I’m bad at shooters. Thankfully, there are other ways to get out of situations that don’t require you to do much shooting. As you gain experience, you can increase certain skills like perception or lying which can be helpful in conversations.

You also have party members. At the start of the story, you become captain of a spaceship. As you visit planets, there are characters who ask to be part of your crew. Again, I’m bad at shooters so I’ll take all the help I can get. A better gamer might want to play this without any companions. I liked the companions, but there were only a couple that I felt really invested in. While the characters were pretty hit or miss, I loved exploring the different planets. I liked seeing how different groups of people reacted to the Board’s influence. This was the biggest drive for me to keep playing. Unfortunately, there are a few planets that you don’t get to see during the current story. That being said, I did just find out that there’s an update coming to the game which might unlock some more story elements on these additional planets. I hope so because I want to see more of this universe.

Extremely fun sci-fi game with tons of exploration.
4 howls

Comments