How to be Remy Cameron by Julian Winters



Trigger warnings: References to substance abuse, bullying

Synopsis: Everyone on campus knows Remy Cameron. He's the out-and-gay, super-likable guy that people admire for his confidence. The only person who may not know Remy that well is Remy himself. So when he is assigned to write an essay describing himself, he goes on a journey to reconcile the labels that people have attached to him, and get to know the real Remy Cameron.

Review: How to be Remy Cameron is Julian Winters' sophomore novel and it was just as delightful as his first. Remy is a teen struggling with the usual, "What do I do after high school," thoughts. This novel becomes an introspective piece about identity when Remy is assigned an essay where he has to write about himself. I loved that Julian didn't make parts of Remy's identity a plot twist. Remy knew he was gay before the book opened. He also knew he was adopted. Neither of those are shocking things that Remy has to come to terms with.

I think, more than anything, Remy's character allows his friends to feel more open. Maybe this is a personal thing, but there's a character named Ian who talks a little to Remy about being gay even though Ian isn't out yet. I've had similar conversations with people in my own life where others feel more comfortable talking about areas in their life because I try to live a relatively open life, and I give them space to share their experiences. I think Remy does that for his friends. He certainly allows Ian to have someone he can be out to. Remy also has a chance to meet part of his birth family. I'm not adopted, but I thought it was handled tactfully. Remy doesn't discard the people who raised him and try to replace him with his birth family. He tries to make sure there's room for everyone in his life.


Great contemporary story about identity and the people who love you.


4 howls

Comments