Paper Mario: The Origami King (Game Review)

Justice for Elijah Nichols: https://www.change.org/p/ralph-s-northam-justice-for-elijah-nichols



Review: Yes, this is quite a change in content. I've been playing a *ton* of Origami King and I wanted to share my thoughts. First off, I really enjoy the Paper Mario RPG series. I adore Paper Mario, The Thousand Year Door, and Super Paper Mario. I deeply hated Sticker Star, and I didn't even get past the first area. I had fun with Paper Jam and Color Splash. My expectations for Origami King were pretty moderate. First off, I loved the inclusion of origami and confetti in this new game. I'm honestly surprised it took this long for the devs to include those mechanics in a Paper Mario game. I also had a lot of fun exploring and finding secrets throughout this adventure. Each area has, roughly, 4 goals. There are empty areas of levels you have to fix with confetti. There are Toads hidden throughout each level. There are question mark blocks, and this includes hidden blocks. Finally, there are collectible treasures you can find. For the most part, the Toads and treasures help you fill out your museum. The blocks and fixing areas of each level will help you find secrets. I never got tired of any of this. Finding each nook and cranny never got old.

The overall story is fine. But it's just fine. Olivia, as a permanent sidekick has some sweet moments and some annoying moments, but I have no real gripes with her. Unfortunately, where this series has failed in the past few games (and continues to fail with Origami King) is with the potential partners who accompany Mario. In the earlier games, Paper Mario, The Thousand Year Door, and Super Paper Mario, Mario gets a new sidekick with each new area. The sidekicks come with varying abilities and personalities, so they never feel repetitive. We do get a few temporary sidekicks in Origami King, but none of them deliver the same way sidekicks in past games have.

The other major negative I have is the battle system. Each battle, minor or boss battle, has a puzzle element attached to it. I don't mind the puzzles, but I hate that they're timed. Sure, you can spend coins to increase the time you have to think it over, but these puzzles just shouldn't be timed at all. There's also a limited number of moves in which you're expected to complete each puzzle. That could have been the only real limitation in each battle, but the devs really thought these puzzles needed to be timed too. On top of that, the battles are completely pointless. You don't level up with experience like in the earliest Paper Mario games. There is truly no point in battling which is a bummer.

Overall, I've had fun exploring but I hate battling. It doesn't help that there is a weird difficulty spike between the 2nd and 3rd areas. It caused more frustration than fun and that's the biggest disappointment.

2 howls

Comments