The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R Tolkien

Justice for Zinedine: https://www.change.org/p/the-botswana-government-justice-for-zinedine


Synopsis: The dark, fearsome Ringwraiths are searching for a Hobbit. Frodo Baggins knows that they are seeking him and the Ring he bears—the Ring of Power that will enable evil Sauron to destroy all that is good in Middle-earth. Now it is up to Frodo and his faithful servant, Sam, with a small band of companions, to carry the Ring to the one place it can be destroyed: Mount Doom, in the very center of Sauron’s realm.

Review: I’m going to talk about a little fantasy trilogy that surely no one has heard of. No, but really, I read The Fellowship of the Ring for the first time this year. In my defense, I tried to read it in high school, couldn’t get passed the halfway point, and I’ve been scared to try reading it ever sense. I love The Hobbit though. I’ve read that a ton of times. Anyways, Fellowship is the classic fantasy story about Frodo Baggins, a hobbit, who is thrust on a quest to destroy a ring tied to an evil force. Fellowship is great because it’s about a friend group. It’s about the entire Fellowship that we have come to know and love but, at its center, it’s about Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin. We see these sheltered characters leave their comforts and embark on a life-changing quest. Their love and support of each other is honestly what everyone should strive for in their life. It’s nice to get additional characters into the crew, Gimli, Aragorn, Legolas, and Boromir, but I loved the hobbits more than I thought I would. Probably because they’re very unlikely heroes and I just appreciate their dedication.


There are a lot of jokes about this series just being about hobbits walking and they aren’t exactly wrong. Fellowship is just the start of the series, but there was a ton of commentary about being kind to nature. Tolkien does an incredible job of making a vivid world and dynamic characters, but this isn’t going to be a series I recommend to people just getting into adult fantasy. The pacing is very slow and, while I really enjoyed my time reading it now, I can certainly see why I gave up in high school. I also can’t remember what Tolkien’s religious views are, but I could see common good versus evil themes that are found in Christianity very clearly in Fellowship. Tolkien did a great job of making his own world and weaving all-knowing characters and temptation from an evil force into his world. When I re-read this trilogy, I’m definitely going to look a little deeper into the religious elements so I can have a better understand of Tolkien’s world and characters.


The Fellowship of the Ring is amazing, but definitely a series readers should build up to.

5 howls

If you enjoy The Fellowship of the Ring, consider checking out the following books:

Wild Seed by Octavia E. Butler (Octavia E. Butler is another classic SFF author and all of her books have rather dark undertones, specifically as many of her themes include racial issues that Black people often face)

The Empress of Salt and Fortune by Nghi Vo (A rich fantasy novella steeped with east Asian influence)

Everfair by Nisi Shawl (Historical fantasy that imagines a world where Shawl reimagines the history of the Congo and colonization)

Comments