Mary Poppins Returns



Review: I finally got around to watching Mary Poppins Returns and what a treat it was. I'll go ahead and put out a warning that the overall story is much darker than the original Mary Poppins film. The story follows Jane and Michael, the children from the first movie, as they are grown and Michael is about to lose the family house. His wife has passed away, so he is in a bit of a rut and his children try to help him out. There are some people who frown on stories of kids trying to help their parents out of tough situations, because that's the world we live in and it sucks. If you're part of that group, then you probably won't like the overlying story in Mary Poppins Returns. I didn't mind this aspect of the movie, but it did feel like it took away some of the whimsy from the film. Still, Michael's children are precious and I loved seeing them interact with Mary Poppins. They also clearly love their dad a lot and that was touching. What really sold this movie was Lin Manuel-Miranda and Emily Blunt. They were phenominal with their characters. They really took the spirit of Burt and Mary Poppins from the first film, and they made those stories their own. The songs were just as fun as the ones from the first film, and we got some great nods to the original story. I found myself laughing a lot while watching Mary Poppins Returns and I'm so glad I finally got the chance to watch it.

4 howls

Comments